Sunday, July 10, 2011

Week 4 : We got nothing accomplished

    So, while on vacation we received a phone call saying that our basement had flooded. A hose attached to the washing machine had burst and we were looking at 9 inches of water, at least. We returned home to find mold, mildew...just overall grossness. The smell was pretty bad too. Luckily Marsha has purchased a sump pump and the water was gone, but the floor was still wet and things looked bad. Considering the problems and stresses I dealt with after the fire the last thing I wanted was someone else in my house and I argued against calling an insurance adjuster. In the end, the call was made and the assessment was bad. We lost everything that touched the floor. All of my walls are now cut in half. All the furniture is gone. The tile floor was the reason that the smell was so bad. For future reference, if the glue on the bottom of floors gets wet, it smells like death. So the kids, who are used to work crews being in the house, and used to frantic trips to Lowe's, are fine. The problem is that I feel as if I have spent no Real time with them this week.
     I know that in real life an education comes from problems like these; but let's face it,  Mama Shey likes to teach and introduce things and ideas to the kids. This just didn't happen this week. We returned from our beach trip late Monday night. The rest of this week has been kind of a blur. Mold can do that to ya.
   The funniest thing that came out of this was the kids looking for something to do, while appeasing me. It took an odd turn. Samuel found this program called Billy the Exterminator. I was not on board with this show. I assumed we were looking at some redneck  who killed stuff and laughed while he huffed the chemicals...I was very wrong. Turns out it really is a show about a guy who dresses like a rock star, uses green  chemicals and doesn't kill anything unless forced to. He also practically preaches to the kids not to ever touch a wild animal and not to ever consider keeping one as a pet. They are learning the differences in wasps, snakes, bugs. They get to see alligators and albino raccoons. I was not expecting this show to enlighten me about ecology. I learned.
  I rented Walk the Line. The first time I saw this movie was in the theatre, and it was good. This time it was great. We had to pause the movie a few times because of questions. I loved it. I know that this isn't kid-friendly material, but it's real. The music is powerful and the kids were introduced to the crazy Jerry-Lee and a young Elvis. It was full of a  lot of laughs and  a lot of morals. It was also full of some very strong women.
    In all it was a difficult week. Today is Sunday and I have 2 different men in the basement than I had yesterday. The part is that everyone who is helping me out is either a friend or family member. I have only been sent to the kitchen once, but Uncle Walter is pretty sure there is a position out there for me involving employers who just need somebody to come in and yell at their employees for an hour or so and leave. I'm guessing it could turn into a full time job.....
   

No comments:

Post a Comment