Tuesday, July 5, 2011

week 3 ..the patriotic edition

    This week we jumped straight into cool with Bob Marley. The kids associated Marley with New York for some reason (thanks Jay-Z). I was able to explain a little bit about the islands and about the Rasta culture and how people and ideas have migrated to NYC. I doubt I did Marley justice. He changed people. We also looked at he Birth of Rock and Roll on Netflix. It provided us with some great music and showed the kids a little of where rock and roll came from, who introduced it to America, and the riots it started. It was not the best documentary, but the music was there, so I closed my eyes and just listened.
    In art we did our own mosaics. Some  kids understood better than others, but glue is always fun, right? We also viewed some of I.M. Pei's work. He was an architect, and his use of angles and lines was interesting.
    We rented F is for Fake. Michael is the only one that made it through the movie. It was definitely an art house kind of movie. I found it very amusing, but you have to know or like the fakers involved to  really enjoy it. The movie makes a HUGE point. How many of our beloved paintings were actually done by the artist that we attribute the work to? It was fabulous! Okay, for me, it was fabulous, not so much for anyone else.
    G-d Grew Tired of Us is a film about the lost boys of Sudan. We were hooked in the first 2 minutes. It was the greatest decision I have made all summer. It was true, telling, and intimate. The love you feel and the sympathy you feel for these kids coming to the United States of technology and product placement was overwhelming. Another movie about people coming to this country was Kung Fu Monks in America. It was good. It was worth the hour. The moves, the relationships between monk, spirit, warrior was wonderful. I think we all giggled  throughout the movie.
    We tied the monks in with the Dalai Lama.We watched a lovely movie that told of the Great 14th. It was enlightening. I really enjoyed it, and it got the kids to talk about war and country, and the beauty of a man who truly never loses his smile and his joy.
  Never Been Done was a wild card movie. It was about a young man who lost his leg and still became a great skateboarder. You don't really need to love the board  to watch this movie, it really speaks of courage and love and cool. You either have it or you don't.
    We were all surprised this week when Maw Maw decided to take us to see my sister. Maw Maw was gracious  enough to let all of us go to the beach and visit Beeker. It was such a wonderful weekend. We got to spend  the Fourth with wonderful people. We got to tour some historic sites and enjoy South Carolina. I really hope to see her again soon, but I am really thankful to have people around that appreciate family and include my kids in so much.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment